This small, frame house dates to at least the early 19th-century with elements that may indicate earlier construction. Situated on what was Lot 17 in the original town, it was the home of Andrew Holt, an emancipated African American who was able to earn enough income as a baker to purchase the freedom of his wife and two sons. In 1851, he was charged with holding “an unlawful assemblage of negroes” in his home.
The charges were dismissed and shortly thereafter, he donated a small section of his property for the construction of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The current church building is the third structure on that lot. The house itself was unoccupied when it burned in 2017. The owner subsequently donated the property to the Friends of New London who have cleaned out the house and are considering options for restoration.